I am very happy to inform you that the next international conference of the ESEMP will take place in September next year at the University of Copenhagen:
Rethinking the Narratives of Early Modern Philosophy
6th International conference of the ESEMP
14-16 September 2022, University of Copenhagen
The investigation of early modern philosophy has flourished and expanded tremendously over the last couple of decades. More and more hitherto neglected texts, topics, and names become visible that enrich our knowledge of the past and shed new lights on the development of early modern philosophy. It thus becomes apparent that philosophy during the Early Modern period was a lively, multifaceted venture to which a great variety of people from diverse backgrounds and geographical regions contributed. At the same time, many of these findings encourage us to question common historiographical accounts. Traditional assumptions and conventions, such as linear accounts of the past, an exclusive focus on a few outstanding figures, or the neglect of women philosophers, are challenged and supplemented by alternative approaches. Still, many problems and issues remain unsolved and need to be addressed. All relate in one way or another to the underlying question: How do we tell the story of early modern philosophy?
This conference of the ESEMP addresses this and similar questions. Scholars working on early modern philosophy from all over Europe and beyond will share their ideas and discuss their various approaches, theses, and findings.
Sections of the conference:
- Early modern philosophy and the sciences: Rethinking the effects of scientific innovations, new technologies, and the life sciences
- Early modern philosophy and religion: Rethinking the impact of religion, religious minorities, and religious dissidents
- Early modern philosophy and gender: Rethinking sex and gender, and women’s participation in early modern philosophy
- Early modern philosophy and race: Rethinking the notions of race and ethnicity in early modern philosophy
- Early modern philosophy and Europe’s periphery: Rethinking early modern philosophy in Europe’s North, South, East, and beyond
- Early modern philosophy and its history: Rethinking historiographical methods, models, and approaches
More details about the conference including information about the call for paper will follow soon.
Looking forward to welcoming you in Copenhagen!
Cite this blog post
Sabrina Ebbersmayer (2021, September 9). ESEMP Conference 2022: Save the date! ESEMP’s notebooks. Retrieved February 26, 2024, from https://doi.org/10.58079/oii9